Sunday, October 2, 2011

Spinning in the fall of life

[PhotoAn incredible colour and
 fleece roving by Jeanette of
Hummingbird Fibre Arts]
I confess to not blogging much lately. I have been too busy relaxing and contemplating life...or to be more precise...the end of life. At first it was hitting one of those major milestone birthdays where you realize more than half your life has gone by. So one naturally starts thinking mid-life and while maybe not about crises, but, well, you know, thoughts. And the nearer I get to retirement, the more I worry about not being around to spend my pension. What a pity that would be!
Then came black Thursday when someone who had been a very good friend, died; another was diagnosed with cancer; another started chemo; a friend's partner died; a friend was in a bad car accident; and another was taken to hospital in great pain.
So....these are all part of the reason we spent an outrageous sum of money on a 35 year old VW camper van. We have had two before and sold both because of the expense of upkeep. Well to hell with the expense. One needs to enjoy life while one can.

Hence, a lot of weekend camping and travelling. First adventure, off to Port Renfrew via the what is being called, the Pacific Marine Circle Route. From Lake Cowichan, down the logging road which is now paved the whole way to Port Renfrew and returning via Jordan River, Sooke and Victoria. 
[PhotoPacheenacht White Sand beach from ]
I didn't want to think about spinning, I just wanted to spin. No homework spinning. Just rewarding spinning. I took Little Louie (aka Louet Victoria) which was perfect for spinning in the van. For fibre, I took Jeannette's (Hummingbird Fibre) designer roving: 43% wool (Romney?), 27% Alpaca and 20% Tussah silk. I know, that only adds up to 90%. I figure the other 10% is magic. We camped in the sand at the Pacheedaht First Nations campsite where I spun up 256 meters feeling productive and rewarded by the colours in the fibre, autumn muted golds and pinks.
Well worth the time and the money....for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment