Thursday, January 10, 2013

Knitting and the Art of War

Beginners lace scarf      
As I learn how to knit, I am beginning to see the art of knitting along the lines of Sun Tzu's ancient Chinese treatise The Art of War or some 'conquer-your-inner-fears' self-improvement book. Knitting can be a battle, it is 'knitting vs you' and you need to get past that to 'you, knitting'. So here are some of my 'knitting self-improvement/art of warfare' lessons:
  • Start with a plan.  Stick to it.
  • Know where you are. Use stitch markers. Use them often. 
  • Have a backup plan. Use a lifeline. Use it often. You WILL need to use it.
  • See the patterns within the pattern. 
  • See the pattern in your mind. See it with your mind.
  • Know your weaknesses. Recognize them to avoid them.
  • Know your stitches  Know their strengths. Know how to use them to your advantage.
I knit 3 inches in a month.  Then when I put my battle tactics into play, I was able to do another 53 inches in the last two weeks.  I am winning this war!



No comments:

Post a Comment