Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spin 'til you drop

[PhotoSpin. Sip. Spin.Sip. Repeat]
[PhotoTools of the trade: spindle,
Ashford, Joy, Schacht Sidekick,  Lendrum,
Indian Head and traditional Ashford]
It has taken me a day (so far) to recover from a spinning retreat. Day one, go to work, go to lunch meeting, drive south, find the Lake Cowichan Education Centre, set up spinning wheel and spin, spin, spin, followed by dinner, then spin, spin, spin, sleep. Day 2, wake up, have breakfast, spin spin spin, eat lunch, spin spin spin, eat dinner, spin spin spin. Sleep. Day 3 eat, spin spin spin, eat, spin. Pack up and go home to spin.
I was amazed to watch Amy, who had just purchased her first wheel less than 24hr earlier. With only some spindling experience (for a total of less than 250 grams of fibre) behind her, she had jumped into the deep end, bought a wheel and signed up for an intensive spinning retreat. I mean, supposed she found she hated spinning in the second hour. What would she have done then? Something inside her must be driving her. By day 2, with a healthy 4 hours of spinning wheel experience under her belt, Amy was where I was at after a years' worth of spinning. By day 3, she was where I was at after 2.5 years of spinning! She was a natural! She was incredible. She was an inspiration.
And I was able to spin up three more homework assignments. Yes!

2 comments:

  1. I will make sure that Amy sees this post! It was great to have so much time to spin, and good to see you banging out those homework assignments. Very cool to see the various tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't see the homework Assignments, too bad. Wasn't it all fun though? I can't wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete